Friday, March 12, 2010

Church Shower

What a blessing my Church shower ended up being! First of all it was thrown by my sister Margaret, with help from my other sisters and my good friend Amy Schultz. They did an amazing job on the decoration, food, and games.

Food: they served Chinese chicken salad, rolls, pasta salad,grapes, chocolate covered strawberries (injected with chocolate by my brother-in-law Ty) and the cutest and most delicious cupcakes (made by Amy Schultz and even her husband helped frost them!).





Decorations: Margaret did a great job with the theme, ladybugs! The reason for that particular theme is that is what Kevin and I did in Felicity's room. When I heard she was gonna do that theme for my shower I thought it was a wonderful idea but I had one concern... I didn't want it to look like a little girls birthday party! I had no reason to be concerned cause Margaret is a great party planner and everything turned out fabulous! I couldn't have planned it better myself... and that's saying a lot =)



Games: there were two games and both of them were unique which was great because I've gone to a lot of baby showers and it was nice to not have experienced these before :) The first game was called "It's Also A Baby Name". On a piece of paper there was a column that said "Girl Names" and a column that said "Boy Names", basically under each column it gave a clue and we had to come up with the word that could also be a baby name. Ex: "Also called a tune" answer: "Melody". It was a really fun game, I just wish I had done better =) The second game was a baby doll racing game. There was a volunteer from every table that went up and got blind folded and the race was to see who could put a diaper and outfit on a baby doll the fastest. It was really fun to watch and good job Melissa L. for winning!!!






Special guests and surprises: My shower took place in my Church's fellowship hall and it's a good thing too cause there were almost 80 people who showed up to the shower! I was blown away by that because I did not expect that many people to come to show their love and support of our growing family. What a Blessing!!!
Another cool thing is that along with people from Church, women I used to teach with at either Grace Preschool campuses and from Little Steps came to this shower and it was fun to see people I hadn't seen for a super long time! It almost felt like a preschool teacher reunion =)
Even though my family shower was the week before, it ended up that all of my sisters and my mom were able to make it to this shower. One of the surprises was that my sister Kristina who lives in AZ wasn't going to be able to come. When I arrived in the fellowship hall I looked over and saw a little baby who looked like my niece Carah, but I knew it couldn't be her because Kristina wasn't gonna be there that day. Then someone told me to go into the kitchen and out popped Kristina. Of course, I started to cry because it meant so much to me to have her there. Now that she and my mom live away from all of us it's difficult for all of us to get together at one time so that was really special to have it happen for my shower!
I had another person who came all the way out from AZ to be at my shower and it was my best friend Rachel. It was great to have her be there cause I hadn't seen her since her son's 1st birthday party back in August and I loved being able to have her share this special day with me!
my niece, Carah:
me hugging my sis Kristina:
me all tears after just seeing Kristina and her girls:
my niece, Alana:
old friends, Nan and my mom:
me and Kristina:
me and my best friend Rachel:
friends from Church:
Vicki and Tracy:
some of my old co-workers:

Tiaja and me:
Amy and me:
me with all my sisters:
my mom with all her girls:
my mom and me with all my nieces and one nephew, Kasey:
Gifts: We were blessed with so many wonderful gifts! Felicity is definitely going to be well dressed and warm from all the wonderful clothes and blankets we received! We had people make us special hand made things and I was in awe of the creativity and talent of some people! Thanks to everyone for their generosity and thoughtfulness!!! =)










Special devotion: Traditionally at church showers, at least at our church, one of the women in the church (usually someone who's kids are grown) gives a devotion and encouragement to the soon to be mom. I was so excited that Sue Howard was doing the devotion at my shower because I grew up with her kids and have gotten to know her as a Godly woman in our church. I really respect her!!! She did a fantastic job encouraging me with scripture and reminding me that there is no perfect mom, but there is a perfect God to depend on and go to always. I was grateful that she copied off the devotion for Kevin and I cause I can use it as a resource for good scripture that relates to being a Godly wife and mother and gives me a reminder of God's expectations of me instead of the world's opinion and advice! In her devotion: "When I don't know what to do- I have Prayer... I have His Word- 'If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God' (James 1:5)". Thank you Sue =)

God is so good to Kevin and I, and we are blessed to have a great, encouraging and supportive friends and Church family!!!

1 comment:

Kevin and Rachel said...

That was a fun day. I'm so glad I got to come! :)

R